Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Whazzzzzzzzzzzzzzup?


Ooops, so sorry was having a 1997 moment there.


Here is my latest finish and by far the most difficult project I have done so far. It was done for the magnet exchange on the I-Love-Cross-Stitch group on Yahoo!. I was paired up with the lovely Gabi from Australia. I knew her to be fond of birds so when browsing around for ideas I happened upon this magnetic frame design. The leaflet the design was in and the acrylic frame are both available at Yarntree.com .
It was a joy to stitch, just very pretty and delicate. I used the recommended 18 ct Aida (the frame comes with plastic canvas but the booklet was written for a slightly different frame). The pattern called for about 14 different colors of floss. At first I was thinking, "Now that's just silly for such a small design". Obviously though, using many different colors makes everything just lovely.
I will not go into all the errors I made. Looking back I realize I am happy with the finished project and Gabi loved it so that is all that matters ;) One thing I will 'fess up to is that the painted green border around the edge was necessary because I totally messed up trimming the fabric to fit in the frame. I printed out a pic of my daughter to pop in there, she is standing in front of a "Birds of NYC" placard so I thought it was appropriate.
And thanks to the aforementioned Gabi, I will be watching the Kenneth Branagh version of Hamlet. It was number 388 on my Netflix queue. I have heard it is quite the masterpiece and so far I must say it is quite extraordinary, what I have watched.

2 comments:

Nancy M said...

You already know I adore this piece! 14 colors isn't many, just wait until you start a piece with 90+!!

Meari said...

Wow, that's pretty. So dainty that I thought it was ceramic. Good job!