Friday, March 27, 2009

Cinderella Sampler


Ugh, please forgive my wonky camera. This photo was taken yesterday 3/26/2009!!

Wait, sorry, back to what's important: I have completed Cinderella Sampler!!!!!!!! I feel an almost sinful pride in this, it really is quite gorgeous. Most of that goes to the designer, Kim from Willow Hill Samplings, of course. But this was my first big project and I feel some sense of accomplishment as well.

Some details: It is stitched on 40(!) ct. Sandstone Linen with threads from The Gentle Art and Crescent Colors. Like many creatures, I have a bit of a "thing" for shiny objects so silly me went ahead and used some Pearl Blending Filament in some parts. When I started I felt it was a little bit of hubris for me to tackle such a project. I was only a few months into my new hobby and here I was doing my first project on linen, and a high count at that. So why not make it a little bit more difficult and work with the blending filament? I am not prone to cursing in normal conversation but I think a few choice words slipped out while working with the kreinik.

Overall, this took me nearly five months to stitch. Eh, in reality maybe two and a half. Not too long after I started, I put it on hold for a SAL, a couple of exhanges and Christmas stuff. It is not a whole lot of stitching, most of the thread colors I have nearly half the skein left. The work in this one was the counting and double counting and the triple counting and then the ripping out of stitches because mistakes were still made.

However, the most wonderful part of this whole project remains the wonderful soul on the i-love-cross-stitch group who RAK'ed (RAK=Random Act of Kindness) me the fabric and the threads. I will remain eternally grateful. I plan to do a pay-it-forward specifically related to this design in the near future but I do not now if I'll ever be able to completely pass on the joy I received from that gift.

Below are a couple close-ups featuring the sparkly thread!


12 comments:

Mzplcdokie said...

This is gorgeous and good for you to tackle the linen and blending filament so new to the craft. I think it took me about 8 years to tackle the blending filament and I have only recently attempted linen (after almost 30 years of stitching). Part of that was availability of the linen and the nerve...lol.
You deserve to feel a great sense of accomplishment. I think the blending filament adds just the perfect touch

Jinger said...

It is beautiful!!!

I love how you added the blending filament. Such a great idea!

Gabi said...

Oh my gosh Nessa, this is so beautiful. What a fantastic accomplishment. And I love those close up pictures of the sparklies. You're quite talented. Congrats with this beautiful finish.

Mel said...

Cinderella looks fantastic!!!

Kathy said...

A very beautiful finish. And on 40 ct no less!! What a stunnign work of art. One you have every right to be proud of. And even though the krenick was a pain to the patootie it is beautifl and worth it in the end.

Anonymous said...

It looks great and a wonderful job you did...
~Mary in TX - ILCS

Carissa said...

Beautiful! I've been stitching for over 20 years and I have yet to stitch on linen or use the new dyed threads.

Anonymous said...

very beautiful especially the sparkling thread

Nancy M said...

I think the newer you are to stitching the more chances you take without knowing it! I am redoing a baby sampler I did years ago and I still don't understand the directions. I can't figure out how I knew what I was doing those many years ago!!!Your finish looks great and probably even more special to you since the material and threads were RAK'd. You will never forget that part I'm sure!

Shelleen said...

you did a beautiful job.

Milly~ said...

Pretty sampler, you did a great job.

From Sunnyvale, CA
Milly

Ruth said...

Lovely. Absolutely lovely! Congrats on a fine finish. You've certainly done your RAker proud.